Islanders are being reminded of the dangers of disposing of hazardous items improperly, after a fire at the Household Waste and Recycling Centre.
The Longue Hougue facility was evacuated on Saturday afternoon (28 June) after an unidentified object ignited in a skip.
No one was hurt, but the site remained closed for the rest of the day.
Operations manager Sarah Robinson says the fire could easily have been avoided.
"We are lucky that no-one was hurt and thank the teams for their quick reaction in handling the incident, but whatever ignited the skip could have also gone off in the back of a refuse vehicle during a kerbside collection or at one of the island’s other waste or recycling sites, with very serious implications.”
Guernsey Waste runs a Check B4 U Chuck campaign, which identifies the most common dangerous waste items and explains how to dispose of them properly.
Guernsey Fire and Rescue have attended the waste transfer station on several occasions this year
Ms Robinson says if people don't listen, there will be consequences.
"We have been lucky so far, because these items could have ignited or exploded at any point from when they were collected through to being processed.
"It only takes one item, and it could be a much more serious incident.”
Many hazardous items can be taken to the Household Waste & Recycling Centre, where they can be left with staff for safe disposal free of charge.
Non-lithium batteries can also be recycled free of charge at Waitrose, Co-op Grand Marche St Martin’s Store, Aladdin’s Cave, and at all schools.

Channel Islanders asked to report injured or dead seabirds
More than 200 emergency callouts for overflowing cesspits in Guernsey
Guernsey Library to host Costume Creation event ahead of World Book Day
Domino's Pizza to open in Guernsey
Guernsey and Jersey politicians discuss air and sea links
Britain's first astronaut to visit Guernsey
Numerous entries from Jersey for the Guernsey Rally
Violent threats sent to Guernsey sex offender awareness page